Forked roads, young lives and a true gentleman


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Turns out, the job lead I had was false :P The guy I applied to - -quit the next day! And the company is a dud. Oh well. I had my hopes high... but thats okay now. Today I had an excellent interview with a brand management/marketing firm. And they made me an excellent offer. We haven't discussed money, you should know me better by now that although I love money, (who doesn't) , I don't think money. The offer basically outlines very satisfying work, tons of reseach, writing and going out there and getting business. The job description was incredibly exciting but....
what about being a writer? a journalist? a reporter?

People of my generation aren't happy with just one career. Everyone's juggling multiple interests and passions. While writing will always remain number one on my list, marketing/product developement is something I realize,I am innately good at. The question remains -- should I leverage this talent to my advantage or should I opt out and continue digging writing opportunities.

R suggested- why not both? Why give up one for other? The thing is, marketing/PR and journalism are two ends of a spectrum and having a foot in both wouldn't lend me much credibility. But if I manage to carefully siphon out the two interests and pluck out my exact involvement in both so that none represents a conflict of interests, it may just work.

The amazing thing is, if I decide to join this company full-time, I don't even need to go to their office everyday. They are big on working virtually and I could be situated anywhere in the world and still be working for them. I don't think I will ever move back to Philadelphia though- once you big goodbye to a place to move on, there is no point in going back. But the option would still grant me flexibility that may come in handy anytime!

Y'know, sometimes it feels like when God closes one door, he opens another. I did feel a little guilty about feeling happy for this job offer-- I asked myself, what about my dream.. waht will happen to it, but the truth is, as we grow, so do our dreams. Right now what would be utterly wrong for me is to close the door on any opportunity that presents itself in hopes of savinng my years, struggle and dreams for that elusive goal I set for myself when I was 16. What would be the right thing for me, is to go with the flow and say yes to every prmosing opportunity and worry about it when it's really the time to worry about it. Like when they are soo happy with me that they are offering me 70K/year and a parternship in the firm. Then, I can sit and worry about my career as a writer.

Regardless, I am very happy with this advancement in my career-- wherever it may lead me, it is just the begining.

But I've learnt something : We are only 22/23... we have so much more to experience, see and learn before we even know what we want to do with the rest of our lives. Having a rigid vision doesn't help, nor does it help to have a flaky vision of your own future. It is a delicate balance.. knowing where to draw the line and knowing where its okay to stretch the line. Today I also had a meeting with a very senior level editor who was in PR for 8 years before she entered journalism. She was in her early 30's when she started her career as a journalist-- and I'm only 22. If I don't experiment now- when will I? If I don't challenge myself now, immerse myself in everything that I think I'm capable of, when will I? Now is the time. Only now.

Oh today when I was walking back to work, waiting to cross the road at 8th ave, a man walked up to me and apologized first and then said, I just want to say you are very beautiful Utterly gorgeous.
And then he walked away.

:)


2 Responses to “Forked roads, young lives and a true gentleman”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    ... didn't I say the same thing the first time I saw your profile pic? ..and you said it was a photoshop trick :)

    Glad to hear that things are staring to work out J.

    warm regards, SwB

  2. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Hey, we are all jugglers in here, aren't we? Careers, dreams, aspirations, emotions... the list goes on.

    So keep em up, n your spirit too!

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3


free web site hit counter