In search for Totto-Chan


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



For those who passed out from SSC schools, does anyone remember the story of a little Japanese girl, Totto-Chan, in the 7th standard english textbooks? It was the story of Totto-Chan who opend and closed her desk and disturbed her class, who called out the street musicians and who talked to swallows. She was expelled for being a child.
So her mother took her to a school that housed it's students in old railway compartments. The teacher asked the students to bring 'something from the ocean, something from the hill' for their lunch and the head-master let the boys and girls swim naked in the swimming pool to dispel curiosity, shame and insecurity about their bodies.

Ofcourse the story was only one chapter from the book. But yesterday I found the book at Barnes and Noble. There was only one copy left. I sheepishly remembered seeing the copy wedged between two fat tomes 1) Japanese Popular Culture (which I have) and 2) The story of 3 generations of a Japanese family. (which I don't want) , several months ago. I didn't have the money to buy the book then. Not that I had it now, but I had managed to return two books and I used to exchange money to buy Totto-Chan and The Little Prince.

After I finished reading the Little Prince, I had only one desire- to have read it and understood it in French, in the language it was written in, in the language it was meant to be read in. The translations, no matter how good, fuck up a book. There are certain sensibilities for which there are no definitions or literal words in english. Like the Italian "bella figura" or the japanese "kenji."

Returning to Totto-Chan- this little girl made an impact on me when I was in 7th grade because I felt like her. I didnt' really fit in in my only girls school. I was too... brazen and unlike other girls. I got sent to the Principals office for calling a friend, 'sex-bomb.' I had teachers I absolutely detested, except maybe one who I held in respect. I was curious about many things but was made fun of and laughed at when I acted upon then. I was made fun of in the entire class when I had shaved the hair off one of my hands just to see what it felt like to have no hair. That was the first time I used a razor - I was in 7th, I think. (After that I waxed directly in 10th grade) I was laughed at because I wasn't "in tune" when singing 'A whole new world' when all I wanted to do was sing! I didn't care if I was good at it!

Now that I got the chance to read the entire book- I find myself wishing I went to Tomeo school. Where the children were free to be themselves. Where their actions, curiosities and ideas were not questioned. Where the teachers belonged, because they really loved teaching- not because they needed a job to bring money home.

The book is called, "The Little Girl by the window." it is written by Tetsuko Kuroyangi. It is a true story. And a school like Tomeo, did exist. And hopefully, still exists somewhere far from the prying eyes of media.


0 Responses to “In search for Totto-Chan”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3


free web site hit counter